Monday, October 26, 2015

Master Bedroom Addition to 1950s Ranch (exterior)

When I first threw out the idea of a master bedroom addition, my hubs thought I was crazy. One year later the master bedroom was complete.


After much convincing on my part, he realized it was the best option to accommodate our growing family (we were expecting our 2nd) and needed a 4th bedroom for relatives. So here's the low down of the long project...

We called upon 3 contractors to give us their thoughts and quotes. After 3 months of thinking things over, we picked our guy! I drew up rough sketches on how I envisioned the addition, he took those and made it happen. After gathering lots of documents including a land survey and design prints, we made two trips downtown to receive permits. After permits were approved, we were able to break ground.

Here is the layout of our existing house... Initially I thought we'd expand out via the dining room, but after a midnight wakeup I realized that wasn't a good idea, we'd be building too close to a large tree and the master bedroom would be cut off from the other bedrooms. I decided that we could make the original master smaller by adding a hallway through the room, giving the new master it's own small hall. This would also keep the original master bathroom with the new master bedroom which would cut down costs!


Original Layout
New Layout

I'll give you the good shot of before and after then brief details of each step.

BEFORE
(way before as in 2010, only before picture I have because this is not a nice area to photograph)
AFTER (before landscaping)

1. Digging hole for foundation.

2. Foundation laid
3. Subfloor and framing going up.

4. Roof and walls going up.

5. Shingles on, insulation and windows and doors going in.

6. Soffit on and siding going up!
7. Painted, light fixtures, outlet and patio installed.
8. After Landscaping (work-in-progress)



No comments: